To operate the Power Plant in a controlled and safe manner according to established procedures or guidelines and when necessary take actions to safeguard the integrity of the assets and reliability of power supply based on established guidelines.
- Follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner, only deviating from these when judged necessary to safeguard plant integrity or security of supply of power to the smelter.
- Contribute to the development and review of standard operating procedures and testing procedures as identified.
- Actively support certifications and certification audits as and when applicable, e.g. ISO9001, ISO14001, OSHAS18001
- Generate or assist in generating departmental reports as per management request, in a timely and accurate manner to meet company and department requirements.
- Accurately and completely document actions, events and plant statistics and make full use of check-sheets and log-sheets.
- Accurately maintain plant logbook.
- Prepare operational testing reports as required.
- Comply with all agreed occupational health, safety and environmental regulations in order to protect personnel and physical assets. Ensure that the work areas are kept in a clean and tidy state in order that work can be carried out safely and effectively.
- Isolation Authority as per authorization and as per HEC procedures.
- Operate the plant safety and within environmental requirements in accordance with defined procedures.
- Carry out regular plant walkdowns and report on HSE findings.
- Provide input and recommend continual improvement of company practices taking into account ‘international best practice’, changes in international standards and changes in the business environment which demand proactive action plans.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement of department system, processes and practices, costs and productivity.
- Support the development and training of National employees.
- Provide around the clock shift cover as per Shift Rota.
- Provide stand-by cover according to plan.
- Proactively monitor plant parameters and long-term trends, looking for issues and developing faults before plant reliability is affected and either take immediate corrective action or propose appropriate action.
- Raise clear defect notifications as required.
- Carry out regular Operations testing as required and report on the findings.
- Carry out regular plant inspection rounds and follow-up on the findings.
- Assist optimising the use of operational consumables.
- Remain conversant with standard operating procedures, especially those associated with operational crisis management, participating in group discussions and practical exercises.
- Comply with all emergency/crisis procedures.
- Assist reviewing emergency/crisis procedures whenever required and in particular after an incident.
- Perform other related duties or assignments as directed by the superior.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Qatalum’s Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Minimum Qualification Required
- Diploma/ Trade Certificate in relevant field
- 4-6 years relevant operations experience in a power plant
Job Specific Skills
- Use of a Safe System of Work providing safe access for work on diverse types of system.
- Power plant operation based on a practical understanding of the power generation process, preferably with combined cycle technology.
- Technical assessment on specific technologies
- Logical problem solving under time constraints and with serious consequences
- Use of computers